Friends, when you're waiting at the bar for a drink and the bartender points at you, NEVER DEFER TO SOMEONE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN WAITING BEFORE YOU. Here's why:
1) You are paying attention and they are not. The bartender knows this, but you do not.
2) They are still deciding on a drink order and you are clearly prepared. The bartender knows this, but you do not.
3) They have established themselves as poor tippers, and are intentionally being skipped. Again, the bartender knows this, you do not.
4) They have been cut off and are no longer being served. The bartender knows this, but you do not.
5) They are distracted with their phone and are being skipped for poor bar behavior. The bartender knows this, you do not.
6) The other guy is being a complete asshole and we're putting off dealing with him as long as possible. And he's gonna order a very complicated drink that will take way too long, and you just want a simple draft. The bartender knows this, you do not.
You're getting the idea, yes?
Thanks for being a courteous and aware bar patron, your generosity does not go unnoticed. However, leave the traffic direction to the bartender and for chrissakes just say what you want when pointed to. You'll make things so much easier for all of us! Happy drinking!